Community Development Assistant
James City County
$30,685/year or higher, DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits
James City County Planning Division seeks an energetic individual to conduct responsible technical work and administrative tasks for the department. Many assignments will require initiative to complete and generally follow set procedures and routines while some will involve more difficult components.
- Assists the public and applicants with questions concerning property information, zoning, land use, site plan review procedures, and status of land development applications
- Intakes and processes planning related development applications.
- Performs technical and statistical research and analyses for development review and comprehensive planning activities.
- Assists staff with gathering data and preparing reports, presentations, and displays; compiles minutes, staff reports, and attachments for the Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, and necessary County officials.
- Gathers and compiles land use, zoning, socioeconomic, marketing and other data, and prepares appropriate reports and displays, as needed.
- Serves as Planning Division’s office manager; develops and administers operating records, coordinates activities with other sections within division and outside agencies and departments, as appropriate, and provides general administrative support for the division.
- Requires any equivalent combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate's Degree in planning, public administration, applied computer science, business or related area; and, some experience in planning, customer service, clerical support or related field.
- Must have considerable knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of drafting principles, practices, techniques, and equipment, and GIS systems and related software.
- Ability to conduct research, data collection, statistical analysis, and formulate conclusions and recommendations; assemble and organize data and prepare reports from such records.
Accepting applications until 11:59 pm EST 08/17/2018. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at