Town of Colonial Beach
Colonial Beach, VA United States
The Town of Colonial Beach is seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Planner in the Planning and Community Development department. The position is responsible for performing professional work in zoning review, comprehensive planning, and code enforcement.
The planner would assist with implementation of zoning and environmental protection ordinances; review of site plans and permit applications; investigation of complaints related to community nuisances; and preparation and presentation of applications to the Town Council, Planning Commission, and other Town appointed Committees and Commissions. Some outdoor fieldwork is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information to the general public on codes regarding permitting and enforcement of zoning, subdivision, environmental protection, community nuisances, and other land use issues.
- Review and process zoning permits and other applications, including review of site plans.
- Perform field inspections to evaluate proposed projects, to investigate complaints, and to verify conformity to environmental protection regulations including erosion control measures.
- Investigate complaints of community nuisances for conformity with Town codes, ordinances, and policies. Prepare written communications and documentation of activities to correct situations of non-compliance.
- Coordinate with other Town staff, State, and Federal officials as appropriate in the implementation of codes, ordinances, and policies.
- Assist with recommendations for ordinance amendments and comprehensive plan updates. Prepare reports for various Town board cases including rezoning, special exception, and variance applications, as well as present these applications at public meetings.
- Occasionally attend meetings, training seminars, and conferences, (some of which may be held after normal working hours or involve travel).
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Ability to read and interpret codes and regulations. Ability to read and interpret site plans and plats.
- Ability to apply codes and regulations, both when reviewing plans and when conducting on-site field inspections.
- Basic knowledge of Town and State regulations and general theories relative to enforcement of codes, land use law, planning policy, and abatement of nuisances.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, other government entities, Town boards, and Town staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work on several projects concurrently and cope with numerous interruptions.
- Possession of Virginia’s Erosion & Sediment Control and Stormwater Management certifications and/or the ability to secure these licenses and other necessary professional certifications in a timely manner.
- Experience operating general office equipment and typical computer software programs, including Microsoft Office, Internet applications, databases, and GIS.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles, as well as possession of a good driving record and a driver’s license valid in Virginia within 30 days of employment.
Education and Experience:
Education shall be equal to a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in planning, public administration, environmental science, or similar. A minimum of two years of experience in local government planning or administration is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the requisite knowledge and skills will be considered.
The employee would be subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions, occasionally extreme cold and heat, steep terrain, hazards, and atmospheric conditions. Work involves a moderate amount of physical activity and fine motor skills.
Submit a cover letter and résumé to Richard Douglas, Zoning Administrator, at 315 Douglas Avenue, Colonial Beach, VA 22443 or email to email@example.com.