Planner I - Long Range
City of Norfolk
Norfolk, VA United States
The City of Norfolk's Department of City Planning is currently seeking a City Planner I. The City Planner I will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the City's comprehensive plan.
The Department of City Planning ensures the highest quality of life for present and future generations by providing excellent planning and enforcement services emphasizing the development of safe, healthy and fun communities where people choose to live, work and play.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in drafting and maintaining the Comprehensive Plan, including coordinating, presenting, writing, and processing plan chapters and amendments, status reports, and other related activities.
- Interprets plans and studies as they relate to development proposals or other activities.
- Supports area and site-specific planning efforts.
- Performs planning related research of a specific or general nature.
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepares reports and maps on topics such as census information and land use.
- Writes and presents formal and technical reports, working papers, and correspondence.
- Conducts meetings with citizens and other stakeholders in the development of plans.
- Coordinates community meetings, charrettes, open houses, etc., in support of plan development.
- Coordinates and follows up with appropriate committees, departments, and agencies.
- Assists in resolving citizen and customer issues.
Work requires specialized knowledge in a professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Four years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Closing Date: September 15, 2019
The preferred candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree or higher in Planning, Public Administration, Urban Studies, Urban Planning, Political Science, Civil Engineering, or equivalent field of study. In addition, the preferred candidate will possess two (2) years of comprehensive planning experience.