County of Rockingham
Harrisonburg, VA United States
County of Rockingham Department of Community Development
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Experience Required: 3 years of related experience
Minimum Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration or related field.
Direct Supervisor: Director of Planning
Primary Work Location: Office setting
Physical requirements: This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects
To provide in-depth information and complex analysis of current and long-range planning, development, and regulatory issues in support of County decision-making and policy development.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Analyze rezoning requests and make recommendations by meeting and communicating with interested parties, coordinating responses with other departments, performing background research, while working within committee and government structure.
- Facilitate the functioning of the Planning Commission by preparing and collecting information, land use applications, and items forwarded from the Board of Supervisors, and organizing into monthly agendas.
- Research land use-related issues by gathering, processing, and organizing information; examining issues; improving understandings and exploring solutions to issues; and preparing concise reports.
- Assist in maintaining or updating relevance of the Comprehensive Plan and any other County-endorsed plans.
- Facilitate bi-monthly pre-application meetings for proposed land use applications projects.
- Manage the review process for subdivision plats and site plans, from intake to approval, including contributing planning- and zoning-related review and coordinating review comments received from all reviewing departments and agencies, communicating with plat/plan applicants, maintaining a detailed record and filing system, and issuing approval, as appropriate.
- Compile and prepare status reports on subdivision and site plan activities.
- Respond to inquiries from elected and appointed officials.
- Represent the Department of Community Development at meetings of community, civic, and development groups.
- Assist in the preparation of text amendments to subdivision, zoning, and other ordinances impacting community development.
- Approve proposed site signage per County ordinance.
- Maintain effective working relationships with agencies, task forces, and individuals.
- Perform other Community Development tasks, as needed.
Essential Functions, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Employment
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Use of computers, business software and computer mapping;
- Basic knowledge of internet; and
- Knowledge of the Spanish language is preferred, but not required.
- Research and analytical skills;
- Interpersonal skills; and
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Work independently and exercise good judgment;
- Organize and work on complex projects simultaneously and with interruptions;
- Learn and use the county’s automatic permit tracking system on a daily basis;
- Experience in land development case coordination, read and review site plans and subdivision plats, understand and apply zoning regulations, and write and present comments and technical staff reports; and
- Ability to maintain regular attendance at work.
Rockingham County is located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with a population of 81,000 living in 850 square miles. The County provides an outstanding blend of agriculture, business, and educational diversification along with strong and sustained growth spanning the past 40 years.
Starting salary range for this position is $48,485 - $55,744
All applicants must apply online at: https://rockinghamcountyva.munisselfservice.com/ApplicantLogin.aspx?returnurl=~/EmploymentOpportunities/ApplicationEntry.aspx&form=APP1&req=198101&sreq=4&desc=SENIOR%20PLANNER
Deadline to apply is September 20, 2019
Rockingham County is an Equal Opportunity Employer