Strategic Projects Planner
Arlington County Government
Arlington, VA United States
Arlington County's Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (DCPHD) is seeking a motivated and creative Strategic Projects Planner with a strong interest in addressing a broad range of planning and development challenges facing a growing community, and providing executive-level expert advice on various strategic planning and development projects and initiatives across a diverse portfolio of work.
The Planner will be a part of the Research and Strategic Initiatives Group and report to the Assistant Director of DCPHD. The position supports and/or leads efforts associated with County land deals, joint development projects, strategic planning initiatives, program evaluations and organizational development activities.
- Managing strategic projects, including coordinating with other staff members, County departments, land owners/developers and other stakeholders;
- Collaborating with staff, including among DCPHD, Real Estate Bureau, Attorney's Office, Arlington Economic Development, and other pertinent teams to help formulate and negotiate joint development agreements and land deals with outside parties (e.g. landowners, developers, etc.);
- Analyzing land use and zoning opportunities to determine prospects for future joint development deals or other uses that are consistent with the County's land acquisition objectives and help address County real estate, development, and facility needs;
- Preparing briefings, reports and recommendations to the County Manager and senior leadership, as well as elected officials;
- Representing DCPHD on cross-departmental/agency efforts and projects that directly intersect with the Department's mission and programs to ensure advancement and fulfillment of core DCPHD objectives;
- Using, retaining, and communicating complex datasets and related materials to inform and support specific recommendations;
- Working with the DCPHD Assistant Director on evaluating the efficiency of key Department programs and developing recommendations for improvement; and
- Assisting with the management and execution of leadership development and teambuilding initiatives for DCPHD's Extended Management Team (EMT).
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in City/Regional/Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, Architecture, or related fields, plus progressive experience in public policy for urban community planning and development.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Additional education may be substituted for experience.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with a Master's Degree in related field and experience in one or more of the following:
- Effective and successful planning and delivery of joint development projects;
- Working with interagency staff, stakeholder groups, and municipal leadership to develop recommendations and advise elected officials on planning/policy decisions;
- Development review and/or the ability to read and interpret plan development documents;
- Advanced knowledge of the philosophies, practices & techniques of planning;
- Experience with resolving challenging redevelopment issues, strategies and development at an urban scale; and
- Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection, analysis, and manipulation.