City of Manassas
Manassas, VA United States
The Community Development Department is seeking a charismatic, energetic, team-oriented individual that is highly motivated to perform professional work concerning land use matters and special subjects such as housing and neighborhood planning, historic preservation, demographics, and land use planning in the City. The selected incumbent will be part of a diverse planning team with a variety of opportunities for special projects and citizen engagement. Because of the variety of projects and assignments involved, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter, detail-oriented, and have excellent writing, math, communication, and time management skills.
Typical duties include:
- Managing, coordinating, and updating the implementation of the City's housing and neighborhood planning program to ensure the success and clear direction of this program as it relates to the City's adopted Strategic Plan and Comprehensive Plan;
- Supporting the implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, and reviewing and updating the Comprehensive Plan as required;
- Processing rezoning, special use permit, architectural review board and other land use applications;
- Responding to information requests from developers, City officials, staff, and the public; and
- Preparing studies, reports, and delivering presentations regarding planning activities to the City Council, Planning Commission, and other community organizations.
Education & Experience Requirements:
A Bachelor's degree in City or Regional Planning, Public Administration, or related field and a minimum of three (3) years' experience in progressively responsible professional planning in local government or equivalent is required. The candidate should also be able to demonstrate proficiency creating maps and editing data programs in Microsoft Word and Excel, and ESRI ArcMap GIS. AICP Certification is preferred or the ability to obtain the same within two years of hire date. Evening work and public meeting attendance is also required. Must have a valid Virginia driver's license.
Language stipend available for Bilingual (English/Spanish) language skills.
*This position may be filled as a Planner II based on qualifications of applicant pool.
To apply, complete the City application at http://www.manassascity.org/hr/jobs