Isle of Wight County
Isle of Wight, VA United States
Isle of Wight County is recruiting for an experienced planner responsible for research and development of long range planning strategies in the areas of land use, community facilities and resources, economic conditions, and the natural environment of the County. Responsibilities include planning, coordinating, and conducting major long range planning projects, review and revision of code to establish the framework for plan execution, and other projects or programs in the Planning and Zoning Department as appropriate. Responsibilities also include presenting research findings and problem solving strategies through the proper channels in order to make responsible, informative decisions for the County. Reports to the Assistant Director of Planning and Zoning.
- Assists the Director and Assistant Director in managing the review of comprehensive planning, current planning, and subdivision requests for the County.
- Responsible for long range planning project management for the County, including but not limited to comprehensive plan, small area plan, corridor plan, and design guideline development and administration. These duties include, but are not limited to, project scope and schedule development, community outreach, meeting coordination and facilitation, document preparation and review, contract management, and public presentations.
- Researches and recommends amendments to the County Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and other County land use policy documents and ordinances.
- Reviews rezoning, conditional use permit, site plan, subdivision, and other applications when necessary.
- Conducts research, analysis and provides written reports with associated tables, maps, and presentations, for executive staff, boards and commissions.
- Prepares materials and presentations for community meetings, work sessions, boards and commissions. Attends meetings held after regular business hours as necessary.
- Performs regular community outreach to gather feedback on planning projects using public engagement tools, such as social media and surveys.
- Develops project budgets, administers bidding process, verifies contract expenditures and compliance.
- Assembles and analyzes County planning data for distribution to the public and County officials.
- Responds to citizen inquiries.
- Performs development plan review and related site inspections to verify that development projects comply with approved plans.
- Provides staff support to one or more of the County's boards, commissions, or committees.
- May be called upon to supervise entry level positions and/or interns.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Observes all approved safety and health policies and procedures pertaining to his/her work activities and performs all work tasks in a safe and healthy manner in accordance with County policy.
Physical exertion is characterized by activities such as sitting or standing in one position, without choice or variety. Sensory exertion is characterized by activities such as viewing a computer screen and/or using hands or fingers in activities requiring fine coordination or dexterity. The job requires moderate physical and/or sensory exertion up to 25% of the time.
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Urban/Regional Planning or related field; Master's Degree in Urban/Regional Planning or related field preferred. Requires at least three (3) years of related work experience with considerable knowledge and expertise in comprehensive planning, physical/rural planning, and growth management with the ability to successfully manage projects in a timely manner. American Institute of Certified Planners Certification (AICP) or the ability to obtain within one (1) year preferred. Requires a valid driver's license.