Planning & Zoning Administrator
Town of Colonial Beach
Colonial Beach, VA United States
Summary & Scope of Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision, performs professional, administrative, and supervisory work in coordinating the activities of the Department of Planning and Community Development. This individual provides a full range of management, technical, administrative and field services in order to maintain and implement the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, and sections of the Town’s Code of Ordinances. The position fills the following roles; Planning Manager and Zoning Administrator. The incumbent manages the activities of professional/technical and clerical staff engaged in comprehensive planning, zoning, subdivision/site plan review and the implementation of the Virginia Building, Fire and Property Maintenance Codes. Work also involves serving as technical advisor to the Town Manager and may serve as the Clerk to the Planning Commission, and the Board of Zoning Appeals. Employee is responsible for preparing the department's proposed budget and monitoring expenditures. Employee is also responsible for overseeing the compilation of monthly and special reports. Employee must exercise tact and firmness in dealing with the general public, volunteers, developers, contractors, and public officials. This individual is also responsible for performance management activities for department employees, to include annual performance appraisals.
Knowledge, Competencies & Technical Skills:
- Knowledge and three years of experience using of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook)
- Use of proper English grammar demonstrated in written communication and speech
- Valid Driver’s License
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to analyze complex issues and develop implementable solutions
- Ability to make presentations to various audiences and use of audio visual equipment
- Ability to communicate/educate the public, contractors, engineers, elected officials and co-workers effectively and successfully
Required Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor of Science degree (Master’s degree preferred) in urban planning, public administration, business administration or a combination of education, training and experience to sufficiently demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for this position
- Specialized technical training in zoning, building, and/or property maintenance
- Knowledge of zoning and land use regulations – must have acquired a Certified Zoning Administrator (CZA) designation, or has the ability to acquire certification within two years
Special Qualifications/Certifications to be acquired within two years of appointment
- Certification as a Zoning Administrator (CZA) through the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials (VAZO)
- Certification as a professional planner through the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) or has the ability to be certified by the AICP within two years of appointment to the position of Planning and Zoning Administrator
See complete job description at www.colonialbeachva.net.
Positions open until filled. EOE. Applications may be obtained from Town Hall, 315 Douglas Avenue, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, or online at www.colonialbeachva.net. Return completed applications to Laura Corbin, Human Resources in person or via email at email@example.com.