Planner or Senior Planner
The Berkley Group
Location Flexible, VA United States
The Berkley Group seeks a qualified, self-motivated applicant to serve as one of the team’s planners. The position will provide planning expertise and support on a wide variety of long-range planning projects. Work examples include complex professional planning and zoning related work functions, including performing special planning studies, interpretation of local zoning, subdivision, and other land use ordinances; comprehensive and small area plan development; zoning, subdivision and other ordinance work; and performs other related work as required. Regular work hours are required with attendance at meetings outside of regular working hours as dictated by project schedules. Travel for training, business development, client projects, and other work-related tasks required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Planning.
Primary functions include:
- Regular, reliable availability necessary;
- Proficiency with Geographic Information Systems (GIS);
- Prepares and updates comprehensive plans, including amendments;
- Prepares draft ordinances, conducts research, maintains project records and files;
- Develops maps, graphics, and other high-quality deliverables;
- Attends meetings as necessary and consistent with company protocol;
- Manages projects to ensure project budgets and milestones are met;
- Presents to community groups, boards, commissions and elected bodies;
- Facilitates work sessions and events to gather input from the public;
- Gathers, assimilates, interprets, and analyzes data as requested;
- Undertakes a variety of special projects utilizing a wide range of professional knowledge;
- Understands census and demographic data and provides analysis as requested;
- Performs other tasks as necessary.
Skills & Qualifications
Thorough knowledge of long range and current planning activities including zoning and code enforcement practices as applicable to the Commonwealth of Virginia; ability to read and interpret local, state, and federal regulations, surveys, site plans, plats, and plans of development; ability to gather and interpret technical and statistical information and prepare technical reports; ability to establish effective working relationships with company staff, clients, state agencies, contractors, architects, land developers, elected and appointed officials, and the general public. Must be able to effectively engage and work on teams in person and remotely with minimal oversight. Proficient use of a GIS system to produce high quality maps and perform complex data analysis is required. Superior verbal and written communication skills are required. Proficiency with other graphics and design software, such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, is desired.
Education & Experience
At least two years of progressive experience in a professional planning setting required. Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public policy, or a field related to urban planning, community development, or public administration. Must have a valid drivers’ license. Advanced degree, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), or Certified Zoning Official (CZO) or Administrator (CZA) credentials preferred.
The Berkley Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer