The Berkley Group
Richmond Region, VA United States
The Berkley Group seeks a qualified, self-motivated applicant to serve as a Zoning Administrator for the company. The position will assist King William County, Virginia with its planning and zoning functions.
Primary functions include:
- Regular, reliable attendance necessary;
- Reviews zoning permits for compliance with adopted codes and performs site inspections prior to approval of permits;
- Reviews applications for variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions and zoning changes; prepares recommendations for Planning Commission, the Wetlands Board, the Historic Review Board, County Administrator; and/or Board of Supervisors consistent with County Code.
- Coordinates assistance on planning and zoning issues with other County departments
- Reviews and approves zoning permits, including review of site plans; for construction, renovations and other miscellaneous items, and forwards approved zoning permits to the Building Official;
- Initiates enforcement proceedings when code violations occur; prepares letters and/or contacts property owners by phone; prepares data for court and testifies on ordinance and code violations;
- Serves as the Secretary to the Board of Zoning Appeals, prepares agendas, staff reports and gives presentations;
- Answers general questions regarding legal descriptions, floodplain information, zoning, census, and general community information;
- Reviews development plans for local zoning requirements with other staff members;
- Reviews and approve routine sign applications;
- Maintains all necessary records for day-to-day activities and permanent files;
- Assists in developing long-range strategic plans and ordinance updates;
- Attends Planning Commission, Historic Review Board, and Board of Supervisor meetings as necessary; and prepares other information as requested by the County Administrator or Planning Commission;
- Assists the County with projects and proposals, including grant applications, and environmental reviews;
- Administers the Chesapeake Preservation Act Ordinance;
- Assists with erosion and sediment control inspections;
- Prepares public hearing notices for local paper and prepares articles as directed;
- Acts as backup for front desk and phone coverage and assists other departmental staff as needed;
- Performs other duties as apparent or as delegated.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Thorough knowledge of current and long-range planning activities including zoning and code enforcement practices as applicable to the Commonwealth of Virginia; ability to read and interpret local, state, and federal regulations, surveys, site plans, plats, and plans of development; ability to gather and interpret technical and statistical information and prepare technical reports; ability to establish effective working relationships with local staff, regional partnership staff, state agencies, contractors, architects, land developers, associates and the general public; strong verbal and written communication skills. Technical skills, including proficiency in GIS and desktop publishing systems, desirable. AICP and CZO/CZA credentials preferred.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
At least two (2) years of progressive experience in a professional planning setting required. Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public policy, or a field related to urban planning, community development, or public administration. Master’s degree preferred.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Maxie Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Berkley Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer