Director of Planning & Community Development
City of Colonial Heights
COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA United States
The City of Colonial Heights is seeking a highly professional, results-oriented Director of Planning & Community Development. The Director, who reports to the City Manager, provides the overall direction and supervision over all aspects of the department, and ensures that activities are completed consistent with City Council and City Manager goals, objectives, and directives.
The position is responsible for coordinating, overseeing and evaluating a variety of planning/community development functions, activities, programs and services, to include planning studies, the comprehensive plan, land development ordinances, zoning, building permits/inspections, property maintenance and code enforcement; serves as an advisor to the City Manager, City Council, Planning Commission, and other City officials, residents, the business community and the general public on planning related issues.
Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor's Degree and over ten years directly related professional and supervisory experience or, a Master's Degree and over five years directly related professional and supervisory experience or, any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Local government experience and AICP certification desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with planning and community development activities, and grant writing; knowledge of economic development activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required; must have a clear and open communication style; working knowledge of computer applications in planning and zoning, including Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Possess or obtain a valid Virginia driver's license; successfully pass a criminal background investigation and pre-employment medical/drug screening.
A City of Colonial Heights employment application must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. (EST) on Friday, October 22, 2021.
Visit the City's employment website to apply online:
The City of Colonial Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer