Regional Planner II, III, or IV
Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission
Charlottesville, VA United States
The Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (TJPDC) seeks a qualified applicant for a full-time regional planner to join our team. The TJPDC is a regional planning agency that offers a broad range of services in the areas of economic development, land-use/planning, community development, environmental, transportation, and housing planning as well as legislative services. The TJPDC serves the member governments within the Planning District, to include, the City of Charlottesville and the Counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, and Nelson. The TJPDC office is in downtown Charlottesville, located in central Virginia at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Approximately 250,000 residents live in the region, which is filled with history, scenic beauty, and urban and rural living. The TJPDC currently houses the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and coordinates a wide variety of short-range and long-range urban and rural transportation, planning, and community development projects.
This position plays an important role in fulfilling the agency’s mission to serve our local governments by providing regional vision, collaborative leadership, and professional service to develop effective solutions. Successful applicants will hold the values of professionalism, integrity, accountability, and transparency and will lead and support various projects in an environment where continued professional growth is strongly encouraged. Candidates should be adept at ‘learning as you lead’ and have strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills. An immediate opportunity exists in the areas of transportation planning; however, candidates should be comfortable with applying skills to all content areas.
The successful candidate should possess the ability to:
• Work as a member of a team, both in-person and remotely;
• Think analytically;
• Develop methodology based on loose concepts and understand research processes;
• Collect, analyze, interpret, and visually represent data;
• Prepare professional quality local and regional plans and reports for project and programs goals, implementation, and evaluation of results;
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with team members, consultants, vendors, contractors, affected property and business owners, interest groups, the general public, and local, state and federal staff and elected officials;
• Take initiative, both by independently managing planning projects and consultants and by seeking pipeline projects and opportunities for the TJPDC;
• Apply for, administer, and manage local, state, and federal grants and contracts with strong financial management; and,
• Follow Title VI requirements for project and program development and implementation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to facilitate public group meetings and committees;
• Computer skills including database management and proficiency in Microsoft Word Excel, PowerPoint, and the Microsoft 365 environment;
• Familiarity or experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Esri, ArcGIS, and/or graphic design preferred;
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration, or a related field of study required; and
• Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy, Public Administration, or a related field of study with two to five years of professional experience preferred.
The regional planner position is for a regular full-time (40 hours/week) employee (Full-Time Exempt with full benefits). Salary range: Planner II $45,000 - $60,000; Planner III $50,000 - $65,000; Planner IV $55,000 - $70,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
To view the complete posting and apply online, visit our website at www.tjpdc.org/apply. Posting is open for application until filled. Resume, cover letter, salary history, and completed job application are required for consideration. Applications may be submitted online or downloaded from www.tjpdc.org/apply and sent or emailed to the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, 401 East Water Street Charlottesville, VA 22902, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer