Fairfax County Government
Fairfax, VA United States
Serves as the staff coordinator (project manager) for complex or controversial, high-profile rezoning and special exception applications in Merrifield, Richmond Highway corridor, McLean and Springfield Commercial Business Centers, Reston, and Tysons transit station areas, among other areas of the County.
- Coordinates the development review of rezoning, special exception, special permit and/or variance applications with staff and applicants.
- Coordinates staff review of the Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance, design guidelines, and applicable guidance/regulations relating to land use, urban design, transportation, sustainability, stormwater management, urban forestry, public facilities, among others.
- Facilitates and leads discussion of staff comments and recommendations on zoning applications and works to resolve outstanding issues with applicants, appointed/elected officials, and community groups.
- Negotiates proffers and development conditions.
- Prepares analysis and staff recommendations in detailed staff reports.
- Presents staff recommendations to the Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, Board of Zoning Appeals, citizen groups and county agencies.
- Addresses citizen and applicant questions as periodic planner-of-the-day on a reoccurring basis.
- Performs related duties as required.
- This recruitment may be used to fill more than one position.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in a planning related field; plus four years of experience in a planning-related field.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee is required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
Public sector planning experience at the senior level with four or more years of experience in one or more of the areas of assignment listed above. Demonstrated experience evaluating complex zoning issues. Strong written and oral communication skills. Experience using a personal computer for word processing, database research, presentations and GIS applications. Master's degree in urban planning or a closely related field.
Position is primarily sedentary. However, employee may be required to do some walking, standing, bending and carrying of items under 15 pounds in weight. Work assignments may also require that the employee make site visits and inspections. Employee must be able to operate keyboard driven equipment. All duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodation.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.