Community Planning Assistance Program
When submitting a proposal to the APA Virginia CPAP program, applicants will work closely with volunteers to determine the best approach for helping their community or organization. The application process generally includes the following steps.
1. Inquiries: Applicants contact the CPAP Program and ask general questions about the program. Chapter volunteers review the concept and provide general guidance on which approach is most appropriate.
2. Guidance: Chapter volunteers direct the applicant on next steps. If the application is not appropriate for the CPAP program, then (s)he will be directed to other programs or organizations that could help. If the application is appropriate for the CPAP, then (s)he will be directed to prepare next steps.
3. Assistance Team: The Chapter secures a project leader and team that will work directly with the CPAP applicant.
To begin a discussion, contact Will Cockrell, email@example.com
CPAP offers a variety of service options.
· Conducting affordable housing workshops, in partnership with Virginia Housing
· Preparing projects for program funding from Virginia Housing
· Developing RFPs and Scopes of Work for larger planning efforts
· Assisting with advice and guidance on upcoming comprehensive plan updates
· Providing professional advice and guidance on defined planning issues
· Developing strategic plans
· Assisting with guidance on concept plans, as a seed effort
· Connecting localities with planning schools for class projects
· Educating and training planners, practitioners, local officials, and citizens
For housing-related proposals, applicants will have contact with a Virginia Housing representative on the Board. There should be initial discussions on the feasibility of the affordable housing opportunity, the planning issues involved, the definition of the project area, the scope of services needed, and local government support, in order to determine its eligibility for the CPAP program.
Virginia Housing offers program support, through its online Grants Management System. Applications will be accepted on an open submission basis. The grant category is Community Impact Grant. The subcategory, which should be mentioned in the application, is Community Planning Assistance Team Collaboration.